Sunday, January 21, 2018

Two Handed Again!πŸ™Œ (Sort-of)

     On December 21st, I did what I had been putting off for literally years, and had my torn rotator cuff in my right shoulder repaired. After the trauma from surgery before, I had previously said that my arm could just fall right off and I would just deal with it. The passage of time and the increase of the pain changed my mind. The procedure went fine, but as would be my luck, the line for the nerve block that is supposed to keep you "comfortable", and keep your whole shoulder and neck numb for like 36 hours, came out. Not only was my pain relief gone, but the line was leaking fluid all up under my packing where we had been told it needed to stay DRY DRY DRY. So at about 11:30 or so that same night, we had to go back to the ER. They can't re-insert that line, it's an anesthesiologist problem.😩😩 So I'm just basically screwed. I did have pretty good oral pain meds that were supposed to be for the breakthrough pain, so I was ok. And most of the time it only got to the point where I was practically doing labor breathing and mediation and visualization techniques to get to the next dose age time. But I got through that bad part, and am getting ready to start PT. I think that will go good because I have some decent motion with my lower arm and hand now. I'm typing again.πŸ‘
     In the downtime, I have been involved in launching two really great books. The first one is called Girl, Was Your Face by Rachel Hollis.  The tag line on the cover says "Stop believing the lies abowho are so you can become who you were meant to be." Who does not need that their life? The book addresses common lies that women believe, and breaks them down one by one, with some suggestions to find YOUR TRUTH about the subject at the end of the chapter. Some examples: I'm bad at sex; I'll never be a great mom; I'm defined by my weight; I should be further along by now. The suggestions at the end of each chapter are kind of open ended, because it's really up to you to figure out your truth once you confront the lie. Sounds tough, but such satisfying work. Read this book. Then get one for every woman you love. 
     The second one is called A Midwife in Amish Country. It is just an amazingly heartfelt memoir of bringing babies into the world and the good, the scary, the sad, the exhilaration of having this calling on your life. I'm still reading it, but I know it's one I will suggest for anyone interested in memoirs, and women's interest books. I'll finish my reviews when I finish the book.


No comments:

Post a Comment