Friday, October 13, 2017

NaNoWriMo is coming up!

       NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month) is coming up again! For those that don't remember, in November, a group of people set a goal to each write a book consisting of a minimum of 50,000 words in less than 30 days. There is an online support community with lots of reference materials, as well as just cheer leading in general. You set up a profile and can choose writing buddies, people who have similar writing styles, or are in the same genre as you. It's all super supportive. Last year I did it, and finished my book with about an hour to spare. I then promptly burst into tears because I could not believe I had actually done it. It was awesome. I am now in the middle of editing that book, which is frankly not as much of a hassle as I thought it would be. Much like writing, you just sit down and do it. Of course, I'm not done, so maybe ask me in another month and the answer may be different.

     So for NaNoWriMo this year, I may go back to the piece I originally started. It's not a 50,000 word novel, so I won't "win", but this story has been in my head for so long. I dream about these people. I only stopped writing that book to write my NaNoWriMo book, and I haven't started it up again. I don't think that was supposed to be how that went.

     I said all of that to say this. Last year I started a few days late, then got DYSENTERY half way through. I finished. If you have ever though about writing a book, do this. It's fun. It's hard. It's rewarding. If you just sit down with an idea, any idea, the words will come. Even if you never publish it, YOU WILL HAVE WRITTEN A BOOK!  

No comments:

Post a Comment