Monday, October 29, 2012

A Holiday Thought. Yes, already.

I am one of the firm believers in not rushing holidays. I don't like to celebrate, decorate, or plan for any holiday until the one prior to it is over. This mainly becomes an issue at Hallowgivingmas. We are not huge Halloween fans, preferring to celebrate it more as a fall celebration, with a theatrical twist. Who does not like a good couples costume, guaranteed to embarass the kiddies?? While we often spend Halloween with our church friends, we don't boycott Halloween per se, just don't really enjoy the terrorizing of little kids. If there were any activities that explored some of the historical basis for the night, without buying into the too easy "devil worshippy" crap, I'd be interested. Like the Day of the Dead celebrations. Interesting. In the daylight. For now, I'll hang with my church peeps and celebrate fall, good food, hay in general, and pumpkins. Now I will get off my soapbox (or hay bale) about Halloween, and get to my point. Because I do have one. Actually two.

So, holidays. I like to get the full benefit of each holiday, and give it my full attention before moving on to the next. I didn't think it was fair to Cupid to put the Easter Bunny window clingies up before Valentines Day, and my feelings have not changed. I will bend on Christmas Music, because there just aren't that many Thanksgiving songs. My husband and kids would laugh if I busted a move to "Back That A$& Up" for turkey day, but beyond immediate family, no. So music gets a pass. NO LIGHTS. Thursday night, SURE. I even tried to do that once. ONCE. Now, it'll get done once it gets done. But it ain't getting done til' the turkey carcass sings. Or crunches.

Now for my 2nd exception. This Sunday I saw the sign up sheet at our church for needy families for Christmas. I forget the name for our program. Like most others, I am pretty sure it has the name "Angels" in it. And that name fits. If a child cannot be treated like an angel at Christmas, then this is not a world I want to participate in. A few years ago, after Ray had his wreck and the following chaos, we were experiencing some financial difficulties. It is hard to admit that we were one of the needy families that year. Rather, our girls were. You can eat a lot of pride in your children's names. Our church family was generous, and compassionate, both in helping, and in making it easy for Ray and I to accept the help. It is often hard to admit a need, and having it met quietly and with little fuss warmed our hearts. Our girls had their dad, and had a nice Christmas on top of that. And our hearts were full.

This year, even though it is early, I am asking you to open your eyes to families near you. There are always needs, and this year, consider sharing what you do have with someone who has nothing. Especially if you have kids yourself, that lesson is invaluable. To have them shop for another child, and then give without acknowledgment from the recipient, with just their own knowledge of their "sacrifice". How much would that feed their soul? To not just know that there are "poor people somewhere", but to actually take an action to help? That's the stuff that good humans are made of. And while gifts, "things" are definitely NOT the focus of this time of year, (or shouldn't be), it becomes a focus for a parent who can't provide it. So do what you can. Team up with someone or a few someones and adopt a family. Be sneaky and drop stuff on the porch over a few weeks. Make it fun, don't give begrudgingly. And expect nothing in return. Your warm fuzzies will be enough. I promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment